Monday, January 20, 2014

Remaining Sane while Decluttering

What's your favorite part about moving or traveling? Mine is being in a new place, and adapting to the surroundings. By far, my least favorite part is MOVING my stuff from point A to B.

The last couple weeks have been stressful, but productive, as I've begun culling my possessions. I am not a home owner. I rent a room in a house, so you'd think it would be easy, but I have surprised myself at how much stuff I have.

In an effort to make my move as easy as possible, I've been weeding out my stuff like a machine. Trash, donations, eBay and keep. It's a process I've been through before.

When I left Texas the first time, I had accumulated an apartment worth of stuff. When I decided to leave for the east coast, due to my budget and logistics, it became clear that most of my stuff would have to go, and by go, I don't mean with me.

I recall how bittersweet it felt, giving all my things away to neighbors, selling some of it at a flea market, or tossing things in the dumpster. Even though it wasn't much, it was mine, and it was what gave me a feeling of being home.

Once I parted ways with my things, and the sentimentality lifted, I felt rejuvenated, as if I'd just cut my hair or lost 50 pounds. I rode off to the east coast, ready for adventure.

I'm now reminding myself of this lesson as I lighten the load. Although I don't want to divest myself of all my possessions, I am constantly reminding myself that I'm about to embark on the next chapter of my life, and it's ok to start from scratch.

It makes me wonder if I'll ever really be the domestic type. I like keeping a home, but I don't like the logistics that surround filling it with things. All I know is the act of removing is freeing me up for the move, so that keeps me motivated, which is a good thing!

4 comments:

  1. "Stuff". "Stuff" does seem to accumulate.
    I wonder if we are the only society that has an entire industry (self store places) that does nothing but store the "stuff" we are not using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky in so many aspects. First, that you do not own a home and have to deal with the stress of having to get rid of even more stuff. Second, that you do not have to sell your home and spend a ton of money to make it marketable.

    Possessions seem to tie some of us down and sometimes it is hard to declutter but I am betting with your prior experience you will get through it and be on the road in no time to your next destination.

    Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From time to time I have odd thoughts about what "home" is (to me)... Our home (the RV) is in Iowa for the next few months, but is this home?

    How are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I think I know what you mean-- the concept of home to me, in it's most basic sense is wherever I rest my head. Things have been very hectic. I'm working a lot and reducing my possessions as well. It's taken longer than I expected, but the good news is I am finally looking at getting on the road within the month!

      Delete